This was my first attempt at some creative disruption of the State of the Arts Conference, though nowhere near my last. It was all part of the State of the Arts Flash Conference.
13 Ideas I Want To Kill
1. The artist (a word I hate) as lone oracle, dispensing their unique vision to those perceptive enough to appreciate it.
2. That fantasy equals escapism, and only overt social commentary is valid.
3. That we must reflect on our own culture, and not seek to understand different times and places.
4. That creation happens in the mind, not the body.
6. That art is difficult, intellectual, different from anything else people do for pleasure.
7. That institutions are necessarily restrictive, and freelancing liberating.
8. That composition is more creative than execution.
10. That the making of experiences is usefully comparable to the making of objects.
11. That what you do matters more than how you do it.
12. That concept matters more than skill and that the skills of artists are any different from the skills of cooks, or builders, or engineers.
13. The artist as entrepreneur.